logging proftpd question

David Banning david+dated+1109486127.c1b9c8 at skytracker.ca
Tue Feb 22 06:35:31 GMT 2005

Presently all my proftpd logging goes to /var/log/messages but
it is clogging that file because I have an ftp login every couple of
minutes. I want to redirect proftpd logging. I tried putting

proftpd:* 				/var/log/proftpd.log

in my /etc/syslog.conf

but syslogd complains;
syslogd: unknown facility name "proftpd"

looking at the man page for proftpd is says;

Each successful and failed ftp(1) session is logged using syslog with a
facility of LOG_FTP.  Note: LOG_FTP messages are not displayed by  sys-
logd(8) by default, and may have to be enabled in syslogd(8)'s configu-
ration file.

So I tried;

LOG_FTP:*				/var/log/proftpd.log

still no go.

I am unfamiliar with logging. Can someone help me along here?