Instead of freebsd.com, why not...

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Feb 14 18:54:01 GMT 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> of laziness.  In my case I unfortunately decided it might be a good thing
> to use a Microsoft client mail program to handle e-mail.  This was a
> decade ago.  I now have around ten thousand archived e-mail messages
> accumulated in a massive *.pst file that I really want to keep - not
> because
> I want to look at all of them again some day, but because from time
> to time I have to go digging around in that archive looking for some
> specific piece from some specific person - sometimes these messages might
> be 5-6 years old.
>
> One of these days though when I get some time, that file is going to
> get exported so that I can get out of dealing with Outlook.  As it is

   not sure how you plan to do the conversion but it looks like you are
thinking about doing something with file itself. I'd install an IMAP
server (it's good way to handle email anyway) and just use outlook to
copy the emails from local folders (i.e. pst file) to an IMAP server.
Pretty easy and you don't have to think about file formats etc., outlook
does all the work for you.

   (maybe you already knew this but I thought it would be useful to have
it out here for all readers because I have seen people puzzling about
how to get the email out from outlook and not considering this trivial
solution)

	erik