Ports

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Feb 13 18:00:56 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Norgaard" <norgaard at locolomo.org>
To: "Grant Peel" <gpeel at thenetnow.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:07 AM
Subject: Re: Ports

> Till then, you'll have to look in the Makefile, there are typically a lot
> of WITH_ or WITHOUT_ options. When posible, I recommend installing with
> default options and configure those options manually, otherwise, remember
> to save your custom options somewhere. It makes upgrade easier.

I can't believe you said this and got away with it.  You can save your make
options in /etc/make.conf and never have to mess with them again, unless you
decide to change your install for some reason.  See the following posts, for
example:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-July/053070.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/017036.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isp/2003-June/000510.html