make.conf question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 04:13:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:54:25PM +0200, Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root at pukruppa.de> wrote:

> 1) Can I put any make option into make.conf that can be applied
>    to ports (like in 	make WITH_CALENDAR=yes install clean    )
>    or is this restricted to system ressources?

Yes, you can put ports specific options into /etc/make.conf You can
also put a Makefile.inc into a specific port directory which will be
read in automatically -- I think there are a few ports that may happen
to overwrite that file, but they are few and far between.

See also /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf if you're a portupgrade(1) user.

> 2) If yes - would this be advisable? - Or is there a big chance
>    to produce some sort of mess?

No, this is what /etc/make.conf is designed to do.  Generally it will
work well, but occasional problems creep in.  Eg. if you put:

    A4=YES

into /etc/make.conf at the moment, then I believe that triggers a bug
in the print/ghostscript-gnu port which makes the build fall over at
unexpected moments (ports/54848).  Slightly inconvenient for the large
chunk of the world that uses metric paper sizes.

> 3) Is make.conf also applied to gmake (used by many ports)?

No, /etc/make.conf won't be read in by *any* of the Makefiles (gmake
or otherwise) that come with the source code of the port.  It's only
used by the Makefiles in the port directory, and it's up to them to
run the port's configure script with the required options or to apply
patches to the source code or do whatever else is required to achive
the desired result as indicated by the make options.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way