X on a server Re: Freebsd vs. linux

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun Feb 13 08:38:44 GMT 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 1:30 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>> They exist.   A friend of mine had one running on w2000 several years
>> ago logging into hi BSD and Linux boxes using xterm. It worked
>> reasonably well.
>
> How much did he pay for it?

I don't know which one he used.  Sorry.

>  Many of the ones I saw cost hundreds or
> thousands of dollars, and there was still no guarantee that they'd work
> well.  The few free ones I tried did not work well at all.  I'm still
> interested in learning more, though.  However, I won't run x-anything
> on
> my FreeBSD system unless it will run without destabilizing changes to
> the OS (no change in securelevel, no kernel reconfiguration, no special
> system software modules or daemons).

You can install the X libraries and client apps on your server -- this
works fine at secure level 3 and does not require kernel configurations
changes or special daemons or anything.  What it allows you to do is
then link software against the X libraries and then redirect the
display to your workstations X server.  This meets your criteria and
can be handy for certain things.  Your apps still run in userland only
and there is no HW touching stuff. You are not running the X Server on
your FBSD Server machine.

Chad