X on a server Re: Freebsd vs. linux

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 13 08:53:14 GMT 2005

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:

> You can install the X libraries and client apps on your server -- this
> works fine at secure level 3 and does not require kernel configurations
> changes or special daemons or anything.  What it allows you to do is
> then link software against the X libraries and then redirect the
> display to your workstations X server.  This meets your criteria and
> can be handy for certain things.  Your apps still run in userland only
> and there is no HW touching stuff. You are not running the X Server on
> your FBSD Server machine.

I'll consider it, although it still sounds complicated.

What do I gain from X that I don't already have with remote terminal
sessions like those created with SecureCRT? I know it looks pretty, but
what server-related things can I do with X that I cannot do with
ordinary terminals?  I'm not aware of anything right now; it seems that
everything can be done from a command line (thank goodness--working with
Windows is a nightmare precisely _because_ so many things cannot be done
from a command line).

--
Anthony