DNS virgin

Mark A. Garcia mag at hamletinc.com
Thu Feb 10 14:28:48 PST 2005

kilim wrote:

>   Now that I've registered a certain domain through godaddy.com I
>   wish to set up my own DNS server. In the Godaddy's web interface
>   there is a way to set two new DNS server. Can I just put one of the
>   server to be my DNS primary leaving out the secondary ? Or can I
>   leave their server to be my secondary ?
>
>   I'm asking this because I'm on DSL with a static IP, but don't want
>   to have two server just for DNS.
>
>   By going the this way, with only one DNS server, this wouldn't be
>   proper and safe right ?

If you want your own primary and leave godaddy as a sec, you'll need to
have zone transfers axfr between your pri and godaddy (sec).  Both pri
and secondary need to have sync'd dns records.

I do not know if godaddy even offers secondary zone transfers service or
not.

I know everydns.net does (free).  I'm sure other free dns services do too.

Also, this is under chapter 4 in the dns/bind book.

Having one primary dns server is a risk, but perfectly doable.  IMHO, if
this is for your own small personal space to host just a single dns it
would be perfectly fine.  I know many folks who just run one dns server
personally.  Now for more mission critical stuff, it's best to have 2
dns servers or more.  Not only for handling the potential swath of
requests, but to at least have one server available all the time to
serve requests.

Keep in mind DNS is getting more and more critical for the simple user
nowadays, considering all the anti-spam blocking features that actual
verify the email senders domain for MX records.  It's up to you...

Cheers,
-.mag