Docs for Berkeley Make?

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Feb 4 05:05:02 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:20:02AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
: The difference is in the extra candy, which you really don't need or want
: to use anyway, unless the project becomes gigantic.
:
: There's only a handful of open source projects out there which justify
: the extra
: fancy crapoola in GNU make, in my experience.  Unfortunately there's
: far too many of them that require gmake simply because the programmer
: became enamored of some gimgaw in gmake that had a high coolness factor.
: It is really sad to see software that consists of about 10 source files,
: that has a makefile that's so non-standard that it requires gmake.

Well, I was just using existing BSD makefiles to learn with.  But then I got
interested in learning libraries.  I'm still trying to find a tool or
shortcut for handling sonames the best way.

But then I found out we are doing a very large project on Linux.  I want to
make it work on both RH Linux (the target) and FreeBSD (to work on/use at
home, of course).  I've been learning about the GNU autotools, which seem
very finicky, to say the least, but at the same time I don't have to worry
about details, like linux-vs-BSD library details  And it would be easy to
handle, for instance, the difference between the names of serial ports on
the 2 platforms.

If this were only for BSD, I'd use the makefile framework.  But it's not.
And it's going to be a large enough project that I don't have the time to
constantly fiddle with makefiles and such.  And obviously, this also has to
work with CVS.

I'm the only developer with *any* real Unix experience, and that's very
modest experience, to say the least.

Any other ideas I should look into?

Jonathon
--