Docs for Berkeley Make?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Feb 5 01:51:17 PST 2005

I think the GNU autotools are what you want.  And there is no
prerequisite
to use gmake with them.

The biggest problem with the autotools is that too many programmers
get the idea that the way to use the autotools is to copy some other
project's configuration and just edit it a bit and slap it into their
program.  In other words a short cut.  Be warned, this is very bad.
You really need to read all the autotools documents, digest them,
and write your configs from scratch.  You don't want people laughing
at you because your checking for libcrypt yet nothing in your program
requires it.

Ted