Docs for Berkeley Make?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Feb 4 01:22:35 PST 2005

They didn't diverge.  Both have a set of core commands that they
understand.
The difference is in the extra candy, which you really don't need or want
to use anyway, unless the project becomes gigantic.

There's only a handful of open source projects out there which justify
the extra
fancy crapoola in GNU make, in my experience.  Unfortunately there's
far too many of them that require gmake simply because the programmer
became enamored of some gimgaw in gmake that had a high coolness factor.
It is really sad to see software that consists of about 10 source files,
that has a makefile that's so non-standard that it requires gmake.

Ted