AMD64 (former i386 convert)+ FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, 5.4 (pre+post install)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 13 17:36:52 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:20:23PM -0400, jason henson wrote:
<snip>
> >MSI K8T Neo
> >
> >AMD64 3000 w/1MB
> >
> I was just reading the archives this week at freebsd.org and it leads me
> to believe msi make crap boards.  They can not handle tough loads or
> lots of ram.  I think it was in the amd64 list under a heading that
> mentioned 8gig of ram.  There were several developers that just trashed
> there msi boards and all the rest of there hardware worked fine in a new
> board.  You should look it up.

There was/is an issue with >4GB RAM, but I don't recall it being only
with MSI boards. And since 4GB is the limit for 32-bit addressing, I
would rather suspect a 32/64-bitness issue.

Personally I've used MSI motherboards in my last four desktops, running
Linux or FreeBSD, and have never had issues with them. I'm using a MSI
K8T NEO FSR (MS-6702) in my current amd64 box without problems.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail