AMD64 (former i386 convert)+ FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, 5.4 (pre+post install)

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 17:09:19 PDT 2005

Edgar Martinez wrote:

>All,
>

>I cant begin to tell you how horrible of a time I have had trying to get
>this system installed and running. Sysinstall kept throwing up a privilege
>fault kernel error randomly (7sed...4m.7m..etc), and after I go fast enough
>to get lucky to an install complete..the system then spends its time
>periodically rebooting.this is the first venture into AMD64 turf as I
>historically stick with i386.so any pointers.gotchas.tweaks or tips.. please
>let me know..I really don't want to give up, so I want to see what can be
>done to stabilize this.
>

>MSI K8T Neo
>
>AMD64 3000 w/1MB

I was just reading the archives this week at freebsd.org and it leads me
to believe msi make crap boards.  They can not handle tough loads or
lots of ram.  I think it was in the amd64 list under a heading that
mentioned 8gig of ram.  There were several developers that just trashed
there msi boards and all the rest of there hardware worked fine in a new
board.  You should look it up.