nforce2 vs. apic

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Sep 17 04:41:49 PDT 2004

on 17.09.2004 00:18 Vulpes Velox said the following:
> I own a Abit NF7
>
> Yeah... I remember this. A bit... I remember having to tweak it a bit
> to get it to play nicely. IIRC 5.2.1 does not have apic in by defualt?
> I may just haved removed it... I forget now, but any ways. Before
> trying apic, make sure your kernel has it. If your kernel does not, go
> into the setup screen and turn it off. I never had any ACPI problems
> with it and that has all ways worked well, minus a warning about a odd
> character or the like in it at startup.

I have also never had any ACPI problems, and everything is fine if APIC
is disabled either in BIOS or in kernel, but when it is enabled in both
the system freezes.

> So far my only complaint with it has been the onboard vr ethernet chip
> appears to suck compared to the dc pci card I have been using. Not
> taken the time to sort that out yet. Appears some what slow under
> heavy load. Think that has to do with a problem with device polling
> for that chipset.

Btw, to be precise I have NF7-S and I use network driver from
ports/net/nvnet, works fine for me, although I never did any performance
benchmarking.

--
Andriy Gapon