Cardbus not working for 3com 656B netcard

Dave McCammon davemac11 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 13:16:29 PDT 2004

--- Davon Shire <davon at shires.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>   back in the days of 5.1.xxx my 3com CFM656B
> (That's not the exact model
> number sorry but it's in my machine at home at the
> moment.) worked
> beautifully. I had changed to the 5.1 branch of
> FreeBSD because finally I
> could use something other than a ratty Linksys
> 10mbps pccard in my laptop.
>   I cvsup'd religeously and the world built well
> (usually) and the kernels
> kernelled and I was a righteous FreeBSD guru. But
> then.. 5.2.1 hit and my
> 3com netcard no longer functioned. I searched high
> and low for fixes,
> answers cvsup every chance I had and never once did
> the card work again.
>   Everything shows normal in the dmesg but the bus
> never resets and the system
> can't get the station address. I checked interrupts
> and the card bus is
> there sharing life with the pccard interface at irq
> 10.
>   If I'm using 5.1 of the OS (which I reinstalled
> the other day because i'm
> trying to get my new Linksys wifi card running) the
> 3com works and data
> flows at a reasonable rate.
>   Does anyone know of a fix for the cardbus since
> that's the only thing I can
> find that seems like it's out of wack? same hardware
> works fine with 5.1 but
> 5.2> is toiletville.
>   My 10mbps linksys card still works but it is a 16
> bit pccard and nothing and
> no cards that I have that are 32bit cardbus work at
> all.
>   This is on a IBM Iseries thinkpad 1141. It's been
> my main work horse since I
> bought it in 2000.
>   Please help make a ratty old laptop useful again.
> I'll do what I can to
> provide information to get this problem fixed. Since
> I see current is now
> trying to breath life into FreeBSD-6.0 and I would
> hate to see this problem
> continue.
>   Thank you in advance for everything.
>
> Sincerely
>   Davon
If you are getting dmesg errors similar to

kernel: cbb0: cbb_power: 0V
kernel: cbb0: bad Vcc request. ctrl=0xf000ff00,
status=0xf000e2c3
kernel: cbb_power: 0V

Try this patch ?

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-September/004726.html

I have a 3com575B that quit working after going to 5.3
beta from 5.2.1. The above patch made it work again.

Here is another that may help.