Retrieving audio from memory

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 22:35:53 PDT 2004

clayton rollins wrote:

> OK, funny one.
>
> I accidentally deleted a media file... However, I did have the file
> opened in kaboodle.
>
> The file appears to be intact in memory; I can listen to it from
> start to finish. Kaboodle, unfortunately, doesn't have any "save"
> feature, so that's out.
>
> I'm wondering if there is some way I could hack in and read
> the file out of memory. (I have root access, and am comfortable
> with reading directly from memory.)
>
> Lacking that, is there any tool that could capture the audio
> as it plays out the card?

Check your /tmp dir.  It could be there, I have found media there from
firefox when a website does some jave popup function that prevents me
from saving a file easily by right clicking on the link.

I think you could use something like # cat ./sorrydave.au > /dev/audio.
This plays a file in the current dir to your aduio dev.  I saw it at
http://flag.blackened.net/freebsd/sound.html.

Maybe you could use a pipe?
http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol5_3/tpj0503-0002.html
 From this you could write a little program that calls open( a freebsd
system call in libc) and write the input to a new file.  The actual code
samples are missing.  I don't know perl, just a little c.

I just tried to write a sample program but it is 1:32am here and I have
no examples in front of me.  I am sure this would be the most
complicated(or work intensive) way of geting your song or file.  If it
was a mp3 I would recommend kazza or some other p2p if you can't get it
yourself soon.