Java under Opera 7.54?

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 21 00:30:38 PDT 2004

Hi all.

Web browsers evidently don't like me. I'd prefer to run Firefox, but it
frequently either core-dumps on signal 11 or just disappears entirely; as
it is I'm basically only able to use it for Gmail. So I turned back to
Opera, which has proven quite stable.

However, I've NEVER been able to get Java working under Opera. The docs
say that it uses Java 2(various example paths have J2RE) and the only Java
2 thing I can find is the SDK. Given the time it took to compile the JRE
I've got, I'd rather not install that port only to find that it's useless
to me.

FreeBSD 5.2.1, Opera 7.54, and I did try pointing Opera to my existing
Java path, /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/jre/lib/i386/

When asked to Validate, Opera says it looks fine, but when I restart it,
Help->About reports no JRE installed and Java applets don't work. The
checkbox to activate Java is greyed out.

Has anyone been able to convince Java and Opera to get along under
FreeBSD? If so, any help would be appreciated. I'm not the most technical
of people, so while I can install FreeBSD just fine, the multitude of JREs
and JDKs leaves me at a loss.

TIA.

--
-Brian Bobowski