MS-Windows connection to 4-Stable is OK, but to 5.3 is not.

Timothy Goshinski tgoshinski at huntel.net
Fri Oct 22 18:49:24 PDT 2004

> Hello,
>
> A collegue of mine uses MS-Windows and connects to my FreeBSD
> PCs with some Window Manager's software by SSH protocol.
>
> To my 4-Stable PC (with SSH-3.5p1) this works just fine.
> To my 5.3 PC (with SSH-3.8.1p1) the connection is refused.
>
> We have tried again and again, double-checked the password and
> so on. I think it has something to do with a different system
> configuration of sshd. Can someone help me with this?
>
> I have ran sshd in debug mode on the 5.3 FreeBSD PC, and I get:
>
> # /usr/sbin/sshd -d
>
>  -- snip --
>
> ----- and here the ssh connection is cut off -----
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I use
PuTTY(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) to connect from my
Win2KPro box to both my 4.10 and 5.3b7 FreeBSD boxes without any problems.
I have the exact same version of OpenSSH running as you do, and an older
version of PuTTY.

Regards,
Tim