WiFi 802.11b or g setup

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 12:38:19 PST 2004

My software is configured to reply with a 'Top Posted'. I got used to
this 25 years ago, and have used this format ever since. I usually
remember what I wrote and am simply looking for answers or responses. I
sort through previous information only when I need to. Usually my memory
is adequate. (Now, if I could only type....)

 >The first step you have to take is to establish what chipset the
wireless card(s) you have are using.

The Linksys 802.11b card is a 2 month old card, model WPC11 ver.4. It
uses the RealTek 8139 chipset. (One piece of software on a Linux system
reported this as having a RealTek 8180 chipset.)
I've read too many messages about problems with the 'G' card. I haven't
even tried the 'G' card on any UNIX type system in months.
The Netware card kept coming up with Un-known chipset.
And the generic un-known wifi card, which came free with one wifi
service provider, is simply what it says. Generic un-known Wireless Lan
PC Card from Taiwan R.O.C. It works with Windows.
I actually have the Linux "How-To" for this exact Linksys card, which is
why I purchased it. But the docs are dated and don't work with the
current Linux kernels. And compiling new kernels for any system is a
project that I've been putting off.

I am running FBSD v5.2.1.

When I go to configure an Internet connection over a network, I seem to
be getting the same errors with FreeBSD and the wifi card that I got
with Linux. I am probably approaching it wrong, someway. Trying to do
something (?) that I shouldn't, or not doing something that I should.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590