WiFi 802.11b or g setup

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Mon Nov 1 10:43:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:31:13 -0700
Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com> spake thus:

> Somehow or someway, my approach to this problem is completely wrong.
> Using the various network connection programs, all respond that there is
> no network connector attached.
>
> I put FBSD (for a day) on this box a couple of months ago. The light on
> the PCMCIA WiFi card did come on then. (Linksys card.) But a network
> scan still said that there was no network connector attached or present.
> This time, the light doesn't even come on. I'm beginning to think that
> the SSH program is a problem source. But I'm am also sure that I am
> approaching this wrong  and need some direction. (I've tried all of the
> options in the sysinstall network menu.)
>
> (100% of my Internet connection is through WiFi services. I travel all
> year long. When I sometimes go home to Wyoming, my cell phone normally
> doesn't work there. No phone lines. A wind generator and a gas generator
> for electricity. Snow gets over 10 feet deep during a normal winter.
> Travel in the winter is by snowmobile. Antelope, moose, and elk get in
> my way during the day and wake me up in the night. Usually I don't want
> to leave there...)
>

> Lloyd Hayes
>
> Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
> E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590
>

> Dick Davies wrote:
>
> >* Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com> [1057 19:57]:
> >

> >>I have several wifi modems. I've read where the Linksys 802.11b seems
> >>the most compatable with UNIX type systems. I bought this one recently.
> >>I also have the US Robodics 802.11g, Netware 802.11b, and a generic
> >>wavelan 802.11b PCMCIA card. I have yet to get any of these to work
> >>under a UNIX type system. Obviously there is something here that I don't
> >>understand.
> >>
> >>Anyone have some step-by-step instuctions for this idiot?
> >>

> >What have you tried, and what didn't work?

It's generally advised not to top post.

The first step you have to take is to establish what chipset the
wireless card(s) you have are using. From there you can go on to work
out the driver and the steps from that point are well published. I
believe the prism and orrinoco chipsets are well supported but
unfortunately not all board makers use them. For 802.11g it seems to me
the best bet is to upgrade to 5.x and make use of cards with the Atheros
chipset which appears to be natively supported by FBSD.

HTH

LukeK

--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>