3Com 3c905B-TX Fast EtherLink XL Packet Loss

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon May 31 09:34:00 PDT 2004

Technical Director wrote:
[ ... ]
> 3Com 3c905B-TX showing up as xl0
>
> plugged in using a etl certified (whooie) cat-5e to:
>
> Linksys EtherFast 4116
>
> Using ping -f /{some address}/, I've noticed at these configured speeds
> the following:
>
> 10baseT/UTP half-duplex == 11% packet loss
> 10baseT/UTP full-duplex == 30% packet loss
> 100baseTX half-duplex == 70-80% packet loss
> 100baseTX full-duplex == 95-99% packet loss

Some older cards simply won't handle the data rate of a flood ping; if you can
do something like:

ping -s 1000 -i 0.001 _address_

...without packet loss, it's probably fine to use for normal purposes.  The
only other response I can think to give is to try swapping in a high-end card
like a fxp.

--
-Chuck