3Com 3c905B-TX Fast EtherLink XL Packet Loss

Technical Director technical at server1.ultratrends.com
Sun May 30 22:05:39 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have the following:

4.10 - Stable
PIII 1000MHz
3Com 3c905B-TX showing up as xl0

plugged in using a etl certified (whooie) cat-5e to:

Linksys EtherFast 4116

Using ping -f /{some address}/, I've noticed at these configured speeds
the following:

10baseT/UTP half-duplex == 11% packet loss
10baseT/UTP full-duplex == 30% packet loss
100baseTX half-duplex == 70-80% packet loss
100baseTX full-duplex == 95-99% packet loss

Looking back at some older posts I see that this card seemed to have some
problems, I was hoping though that someone had a idea or suggestion to get
this card to go a tad bit faster.

I have tried using media autoselect to which it goes to 100baseTX
full-duplex. Unfortunately the card/switch don't talk like lovers after
the first autonegotiation.

Thanks!

R.