Anyone else having trouble with Samsung 160G drives?

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Mon May 10 11:27:23 PDT 2004

Bill Moran wrote:

> Client bought a pair of 160G Samsung SP1604N ATA drives.  I'm supposed
> to  install them in an existing FreeBSD 4.9 system for additional
> storage space.

[ drives don't work in various systems except for one ]

I once had a similar problem with a 120 GB Maxtor drive. My solution was
not to specify the drive in the BIOS, and to pull all of its
configuration. Using a smaller (10 GB) drive as a boot device, FreeBSD
(4.9 and 5.2.1) magically detects the drive.

Simon