Anyone else having trouble with Samsung 160G drives?

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Mon May 10 11:06:33 PDT 2004

Sounds like bio's problems. Check mfg web site of motherboard in
question for bio's update. What kind of drives does client have on
box now (mfg & size)? Are existing drives used as straight IDE
drives? Try Freebsd formatting them on your box before putting them
back into clients box.  I have noticed that newer motherboards (IE:
1GB speed cpu's and faster) have an different version of bois which
FBSD has problems using. 5.x versions have been trying to fix this
with no good results to date. Some people have reported that adding
device puc to kernel, forces use of different method to read bios
and things work using it.  Check out 3rd party bio's vendor
www.unicore.com for plug in replacement bio chip. Use ms/windows
fdisk to break 160 gb into 2 partitions before putting then in
clients box. You have to play around trying different things, there
is no simple answer.