Anyone else having trouble with Samsung 160G drives?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon May 10 12:24:11 PDT 2004

Simon Barner wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>Client bought a pair of 160G Samsung SP1604N ATA drives.  I'm supposed
>>to  install them in an existing FreeBSD 4.9 system for additional
>>storage space.
>
> [ drives don't work in various systems except for one ]
>
> I once had a similar problem with a 120 GB Maxtor drive. My solution was
> not to specify the drive in the BIOS, and to pull all of its
> configuration. Using a smaller (10 GB) drive as a boot device, FreeBSD
> (4.9 and 5.2.1) magically detects the drive.

Wow ... I haven't seem much of this kind of problem until now, I must have
been very lucky!

This sounds like a good suggestion, except it was the first thing we tried.
The orignal plan was to add the two drives to an existing FreeBSD system to
add storage space to it.  So the first configuration we tried was to
install the drives as slaves on an already-working FreeBSD 4.9 system.

As soon as we tried to boot with the new drive plugged-in, the system froze
up (as described in detail in the email).

Thanks for the input.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies