Remote Administration Problem

Matt Coe, CCNA webmaster at jargonccna.cjb.net
Fri Mar 26 02:13:40 PST 2004

Hamed Abangar wrote:

>Dear members
>
>I'm new to this list and also  I'm new to FreeBSD environment .I'm network administrator in an isp.Recently i have changed our Internet servers from Linux to freebsd ( cache servers , dns servers , firewall , mail servers) . Every things works well , but i have a problem.I can't control my servers remotely.I have activated SSH and telnet but i can't login to my server with root account from my home or every other where. Each time i want to check my servers , i must go to my server's room and this is not good for a network administrator , i didn't have this problem with Linux.

Out of the box, FreeBSD disallows remote root logins. Instead, you can
make a separate user part of the "wheel" group and su into root from
there. I wouldn't necessarily advise doing all of your activity as the
wheel'd user, though I haven't been playing with my FreeBSD machines on
a sufficiently frequent basis to be able to say, one way or the other,
if that would definitely cause problems.

--
Matt Coe, CCNA
Member-At-Large, Dalhousie University CS Society Fall 2003

'Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk
to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out.'
  -- DNA, 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy', Arthur Philip Dent

Sick of long-distance bills? Get Skype! www.skype.com