CMS on FreeBSD

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Fri Mar 19 12:24:56 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:05:45 -0600, Dan Rue wrote:

> Umm..  I don't know what other people think about this - but I really
> never run any PHP stuff from ports.  It is easier, imo, to just download
> the tgz and unzip it to the directory you want it in.  Since there's no
> compiling, usually very little setup, it's just _easier_ and gives you
> more control if you just do it yourself.  Of course, the cruddy thing
> about that is updating.
>
> Therefore, the reason why I think the cms' in ports are old is because
> most people don't port install them - it's just not worth it.

Ahh, I see. That would explain a lot, then. Makes sense.

> As far as which cms to use, I'm currently undecided as well.  My boss
> really likes drupal, and forces me to use it :)

Drupal looks really nice. Do you have any thoughts on Drupal vs. Mambo?

> Check out
> opensourcecms.com - they showcase dozens of php cms' and let you try
> them out.

Beat ya to it... I already stumbled across it just a short while ago and am
currently playing around. :)

Hmmm it occurred to me that one module/component I'd really be interested
in is some sort of organized (hierarchy) knowledgebase that is also
searchable.