CMS on FreeBSD

Dan Rue drue at therub.org
Fri Mar 19 12:05:48 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:53:04PM -0500, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> I'm thinking about setting up a FreeBSD-based CMS/intranet and wanted to
> know what other people were doing.
>
> I have a tiny bit of experience with PHP-Nuke because my webhost uses it.
> Although I have no real complaints about it, I am not wedded to it.
>
> PHP-Nuke is in ports and was recently upgraded to 6.9 after stagnating at
> 6.0 for a long time. This makes me concerned that if I invested in it, and
> the need for an update came, I might be SOL for a while due to lack of a
> maintainer. As it is right now, it is marked FORBIDDEN due to a
> vulnerability with versions below 7.1.
>
> Also, there seems to be a lot of hatred towards PHP-Nuke. I don't claim to
> understand it, but I can accept they might know something I don't. I do
> know that PHP is rather easy for me to work with, as I've tweaked many
> pages on my hosted site. I am also not turned away by the fact that
> PHP-Nuke depends on MySQL as I have used it with Bugzilla and it doesn't
> scare me.
>
> Looking at other options, there comes Postnuke. Seems a pretty-popular
> close-relation to PHP-Nuke, however the version in ports seems 2+ years
> old. So there is the maintainership issue again. And a lot of people hate
> BOTH *Nukes, for perhaps good reasons I don't totally grasp, so there's
> that too.
>
> Diverging a bit, I noticed Drupal. Currently in ports but broken.

<snip>

Umm..  I don't know what other people think about this - but I really
never run any PHP stuff from ports.  It is easier, imo, to just download
the tgz and unzip it to the directory you want it in.  Since there's no
compiling, usually very little setup, it's just _easier_ and gives you
more control if you just do it yourself.  Of course, the cruddy thing
about that is updating.

Therefore, the reason why I think the cms' in ports are old is because
most people don't port install them - it's just not worth it.

Just follow the instructions that come with the PHP app - usually you'll
have to create a database in mysql for it to use.  The instructions are
usually really good with that stuff.

As far as which cms to use, I'm currently undecided as well.  My boss
really likes drupal, and forces me to use it :)  Check out
opensourcecms.com - they showcase dozens of php cms' and let you try
them out.

Good Luck -
Dan