changing cards in a reader

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sat Jun 26 16:09:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:39:25AM -1000, hoe-waa at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> Aloha
>
> Hopefully this is a simple question. FreeBSD does not support my
> Olympus C-3000 Zoom camera so I bought a card reader (usb). It has
> 4 slots and when I boot or just plug it in I get 4 drives
> (da0, da1, da2, & da3). If I have a SmartMedia card installed I
> also see da2s1.
>
> da2s1 mounts fine and I am able to see and use all of the photo files.
>
> I have additional SM cards and would like to change the installed card at
> will. If I do a umount and replace the card and try to mount again I
> get an error  "mount_msdosfs: /dev/da2s1: Invalid argument". I should
> say that the cards are different sizes. In order to mount another card
> I have to unplug the usb cable and re-plug it in with the new card in
> the slot.
>
> I have read man camcontrol and do not see an option I can use.
>
> Is there a way to do this without unplugging and re-plugging the cable?

Try this (as root):

# camcontrol devlist

to find out which CAM device da2 belongs to.  On this machine I get:

<337 COMB  >                       at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da2)
<DMI MultiFlash 3.00>              at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da4)
<DMI MultiFlash 3.00>              at scbus2 target 0 lun 1 (da5,pass2)
<DMI MultiFlash 3.00>              at scbus2 target 0 lun 2 (da6,pass3)
<DMI MultiFlash 3.00>              at scbus2 target 0 lun 3 (da7,pass4)

My SmartMedia slot happens to be da5, which is device 2:0:1.  After
unmounting the card, you should be able to:

# camcontrol eject 2:0:1

using the appropriate device number for your system, of course.  Then swap
cards and do:

# camcontrol rescan 2:0:1

which should generate some lines in /var/log/messages telling you about the
size of the new card.

You might want to look into setting up the automounter to do the rescan and
eject automatically when cards are mounted and unmounted, respectively.

Cheers,

	Scott