Talent Flash Drive 2.0 with FreeBSD 5.2.1

Stefan Schwarzer sschwarzer at sschwarzer.net
Sat Jun 26 14:41:24 PDT 2004

I try to use a "Talent Flash Drive 2.0" (a USB memory stick) with
FreeBSD 5.2.1 . The device works well with Windows 2000 and Mac OS X
10.3 . The USB card to which I attach the memory stick serves an
external hard disk without problems, so the fault shouldn't be with
the USB controller card.

On attaching the memory stick, I get the messages

    umass1: Super Talent Flash USB 2.0 Flash Drive, rev 2.00/20.10, addr 3
    GEOM: create disk da1 dp=0xc6abec50
    da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
    da1: <S Talent Flash Drive 2.0 2010> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
    da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da1: 123MB (252928 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 123 C)

I can mount the filesystem (written by a Windows 2000 system) and see
the contents on the device with ls. However, when trying to read a
file,

    cp /mnt/usbstick/somefile /dev/null

there's a message

    cp: /mnt/usbstick/somefile: Input/output error

After that,

    umount /mnt/usbstick/

takes a long time to proceed (about a minute) and causes the messages
(dmesg):

    umass1: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
    umass1: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
    umass1: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
    umass1: BBB reset failed, STALLEDi
    (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x4, scsi status == 0x0
    Opened disk da1 -> 5
    Opened disk da1 -> 5
    Opened disk da1 -> 5
    Opened disk da1 -> 5

The first three messages starting with "BBB" aren't always there.

I also used /stand/sysinstall to re-partition the memory stick and
tried

    newfs -O1 /dev/da1s1c

from the command line to put a filesystem on the device, but after
some output from newfs I also got those Input/output errors.

Searching with Google on the web and on Usenet, and also in the
FreeBSD mailing lists and the PR database, I found nothing useful.

Now I have several questions:

- Should I provide more information? If yes: which information?

- Has anyone had experiences with the above-mentioned memory stick?

- What can I do/try to make the memory stick work?

- Should I enter a bug report?

- Do you have recommendations for other USB 2.0 memory sticks which
  work with FreeBSD 5.2.1 ?

It would be nice to send your replies also by private mail because I'm
not subscribed to the list.

Stefan