Pruning the Ports Tree

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Jun 13 15:11:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Graham North wrote:

> Hi Uli and the rest of the FreeBSD forum:
>
> Thanks for your advice - though I am not entirely sure what the purpose of
> your last questions are.
I wanted to know about your ressources, since your ports dirctory
might grow very big, if you don't clean it up every now and then.
Matthew gave some hints about that at the last part of his mail.

I hardly know anything about inodes, but as far as I understand,
you would have to reformat your entire filesystem to change
anything about this.

The simpliest way to update your system on a small hd
would be to keep strictly to binary upgrades and installations.
You won't need the ports directory then (neither the system
sources in /usr/src).

Another simple idea would be to get another small hd somewhere,
devide it into two slices and mount one on /usr/ports and the
other on /usr/src .
This would give you enough space to do full rebuilds of your
system and your ports.

If you have enough patience and time you can also download single
port directories from www.freebsd.org/ports, place them in
appropriate directories and try to make install them.
They will complain when they are missing some other port.
I have done that to set up a samba printer server, but next time
I will use binary packages.

Uli.