Pruning the Ports Tree

Graham North graham.north at telus.net
Sun Jun 13 11:51:59 PDT 2004

Hi Uli and the rest of the FreeBSD forum:

Thanks for your advice - though I am not entirely sure what the purpose of
your last questions are.

To answer though:
My HD is about 1.2G - it is sharing 2.0G with another OS.
/usr    ~ 778M
usr/ports ~247M
total /usr being used is ~595M  with about 183M free.

The problem is not disk space - it appears to be file handles.   Remember,
those ports files are only about 0.5K each - so lots of inodes are being
used in file infrastructure.  Midnight Comm which I use for a lot of file
navigation indicates that I had 99838 inodes available - of which there are
now only 602 free!   Yesterday that was about 900, but then I mirrored part
of a friend's website and used another 300.
As you can see, I need to free up some file handling capability.

Thanks for any further advice you can give.

Cheers,  Graham/