amavisd/clamav Virus Recipient email notification template woes

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jul 30 13:10:41 PDT 2004

Logan Ashby <lashby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:42:00 -0400, Tim Schutt <tschutt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got postfix/amavisd/clamav configured on my mailserver, but I am
> > having trouble getting the notification emails to format properly.
>
> Virus and spam notifications are a bad idea.  Both types of email
> forge the sender address, so notifications to the sender wind up going
> to a third party that can't do anything about the problem.  Notices to
> the intended recipient are simply a waste of bandwidth.
>
> I know there are those who feel you should never discard mail, but in
> this case, I'm fine with it.

Agreed.  I actually have people on my blocklist because their virus protection
continues to send me alerts that I "may have a virus on my system"

If you're going to send notification, there is only one _proper_ way to do it:
analyze the Received: headers and find out where the virus _really_ originated,
then contact the abuse@ address for that domain with the message.
Despite how easy this is to do, it doesn't seem like a lot of AV packages
bother with it ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies