Vinum configuration question.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 27 15:34:52 PST 2004

On Friday, 27 February 2004 at 14:06:48 -0500, Jason Schadel wrote:
> Here's my situation.  I have two machines.  One running OpenBSD on a
> 60gig drive and one running FreeBSD on a 10gig drive with a second 60gig
> for storage.  I want to take the 60 gig drive from the OpenBSD box and
> use it as a mirror to the 60 gig in the FreeBSD box.  The catch is I
> want to create the mirror on FreeBSD before I move the drive so I can
> copy the data on the OpenBSD box to the FreeBSD box.
>
> Is there a way I can configure the drive on FreeBSD with vinum so I can
> copy the data from the OpenBSD drive then insert the 60 gig drive in the
> OpenBSD box into the array on the FreeBSD box?

There are several ways to achieve what you want to do.  The most
obvious would be to create the Vinum volume with only one plex and
copy the data across via the network.  You could then move the disk on
the OpenBSD box and create another subdisk/plex on it, then start it.
There's no way to keep the original data on the OpenBSD disk, since
Vinum requires a different format from native disks, and OpenBSD has a
(slightly) different on-disk format from FreeBSD.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.