Firewall enabling confusion.

Shaun T. Erickson ste at ste-land.com
Fri Feb 27 11:40:14 PST 2004

I put 'firewall_enable="YES"' in /etc/rc.conf, in anticipation of
rebuilding my kernel with the following options turned on:

options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100

I rebooted, for unrelated reasons, and now see in the messages file that
ipfw2 has been enabled and, indeed, since I have no rules in place, my
system is cut off from the network.

I haven't yet rebuilt my kernel, so I don't understand why this kicked
in. Did adding that line in rc.conf suck in a kernel module that
obsoletes the need for those kernel options? How do I check (I'd do an
lsmod, on Linux - don't know what the equivalent FreeBSD command is)?
If it is a module, how do I enable logging, as adding
'firewall_logging="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf didn't turn it on, according to
the messages file. Likewise for divert (though I don't currently need it).

Feb 27 14:37:22 peter kernel: ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled,
rule-based forwarding enabled, default to deny, logging disabled

	-ste