Adding Packages and Ports

Roop Nanuwa roop at hqst.com
Sun Feb 1 19:56:37 PST 2004

Krikket wrote:

>I've done a brand-new install of FreeBSD (4.9), and am a fresh user to
>this flavor of *nix.

Welcome, we hope you enjoy your stay :).

>The install went more or less without a hitch.  For some reason ldap (part
>of the default package selection) didn't want to install.

Could you be a bit more specific? What happened during the install? Did
it give you any
error messages?

>To test things out, I tried installing mozilla.  It failed due to a
>dependancy, so I checked out the website to see what was available, found
>a version that was there, adn installed it.

How are you installing mozilla? There shouldn't be any dependency
problems in either of
the two main ways to install packages on FreeBSD. Whether you install
via the ports tree
or through the package system all the dependencies should be handled for
you. I think the
reason that you're having dependency issues is because you're attempting
to install binaries
that you've downloaded that aren't packaged for FreeBSD specifically.

>But when I type "mozilla" to start the program, it's not found.  (Nor was
>it added to the KDE Menu.)
>I was able to do a "pkg_add -r cvsup" on the first try.  But I ended up
>with the same problem -- not being able to find the package once it was
>installed.  Needless to say, I can't add any ports as a result.

Which shell are you running? You might have to run 'rehash' to refresh
your shell's cache of available
programs. Logging in/out would do the same but running 'rehash' is
simpler/quicker.

--roop