Adding Packages and Ports

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Sun Feb 1 20:11:16 PST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Roop Nanuwa wrote:
> Krikket wrote:
>
> >I've done a brand-new install of FreeBSD (4.9), and am a fresh user to
> >this flavor of *nix.
> >
> Welcome, we hope you enjoy your stay :).

Thank you!

> >The install went more or less without a hitch.  For some reason ldap (part
> >of the default package selection) didn't want to install.
> >
> Could you be a bit more specific? What happened during the install? Did
> it give you any
> error messages?

A generic compile error message, nothing specific.  And unfortunately, I
didn't take notes.  (No, I wasn't expecting help with troubleshooting that
point, it was said more in the way of a commentary than anything else.  I
figured that when I got to the point of needing it, I could always install
it at a later time, and if needed ask questions then.)

> >To test things out, I tried installing mozilla.  It failed due to a
> >dependancy, so I checked out the website to see what was available, found
> >a version that was there, adn installed it.
>
> How are you installing mozilla? There shouldn't be any dependency
> problems in either of the two main ways to install packages on FreeBSD.
> Whether you install via the ports tree or through the package system all
> the dependencies should be handled for you. I think the reason that
> you're having dependency issues is because you're attempting to install
> binaries that you've downloaded that aren't packaged for FreeBSD
> specifically.

I attempted to do a "pkg_add -r mozilla".  After checking the on-line
database of software at freebsd.org, I know I tried some versons of the
command lile "... -r linux-mozilla" and sometimes with version numbers.  I
forget the exact one that did work.

> >But when I type "mozilla" to start the program, it's not found.  (Nor was
> >it added to the KDE Menu.)
> >I was able to do a "pkg_add -r cvsup" on the first try.  But I ended up
> >with the same problem -- not being able to find the package once it was
> >installed.  Needless to say, I can't add any ports as a result.
> >
> Which shell are you running? You might have to run 'rehash' to refresh
> your shell's cache of available programs. Logging in/out would do the
> same but running 'rehash' is simpler/quicker.

bash.  I'll give that a shot.  I'm not at home at the moment, and for some
reason ssh doesn't want to allow me to login.

(I get a login prompt, but it's not accepting the correct password for
either myself or the root accounts.  Even after I called home and had the
roommate reboot the system, just in case something flakey got into
memory.  I'm thinking it may be time to pull out the rubber chicken.)

Krikket