bash - superuser

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Mon Dec 20 09:41:01 PST 2004

Dick Davies wrote:
> * Gerhard Meier <gemei2 at web.de> [1207 12:07]:
>
>>On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:41:57AM -0200, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha wrote:
>>
>>>I have a machine with FreeBSD 5.3 - release -p2.
>>>
>>>I have installed bash from ports.
>>>
>>>How is possible to use bash in root account ?
>>
>>Do not change the shell of the root account. If you have /usr or
>>/usr/local on a separate partition, and you cannot mount for some
>>reason, you wont be able to fix that, without booting from
>>another device.
>

> No, but you'll still be able to use /bin/sh when going single user, so
> what's the big deal?
>
> I really don't get what the problem is with this 'sh is on the root' argument.
> Using bash is a lot more productive for many people, so why not let them use it?
> If you're really terrified of not knowing how to use sh, then stick a static bash
> in /bin.
>
> To the original poster: just be root and run 'chsh'.

No.

When you are logged in as root, you *should* have to go through extra
hoops to get comfortable.

I am not saying that you should not use bash when logged in as root. I
am saying that you should not configure your root account to login with
shell that is dysfunctional if /usr is unmounted. Yes, 'exec zsh' or
whatever is a minor hassle, but it's there to remind you that root is
different.

If the OP had to ask, then it's pretty clear that he shouldn't.

David