bash - superuser

Matthias Buelow mkb at mukappabeta.de
Fri Dec 24 13:10:23 PST 2004

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> This is a particularly tenacious rumour.  I've been using bash as my
> root shell on many different UNIX platforms for nearly 14 years, and
> I've never had any problems.  I've also never seen any substantiated
> problems reported anywhere.

Besides, when your favourite shell is hosed, you most likely cannot log
in anyways, since usually root login is disabled for sshd.  And then
it's about the only case when it's getting tough.. when it's a machine
that's hosted somewhere in a rack at a hosing provider, probably one of
the most common situations today in business environments.  When one has
physical access to the machine, it's a non-issue.