bash - superuser

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Dec 20 13:56:14 PST 2004

* David Landgren <david at landgren.net> [1241 17:41]:
> Dick Davies wrote:

> >To the original poster: just be root and run 'chsh'.
>
> No.
>
> When you are logged in as root, you *should* have to go through extra
> hoops to get comfortable.

On my box I have a # prompt to tell me I'm root. I don't sit on a drawing
pin when I su just to remind me I have godly powers, and I don't see why I
should be banging zeroes together to get ones when I can be more productive
(and therefore spend less time with escalated privileges) in bash.

> I am not saying that you should not use bash when logged in as root. I
> am saying that you should not configure your root account to login with
> shell that is dysfunctional if /usr is unmounted.

Look, if /usr is unmounted and you are logged in, you are on the console :

root at bingo gdm2 # which sshd
/usr/sbin/sshd

so you may as well be single user and pick the shell you want. If /usr is
hosed, run /bin/*sh. What's the problem?

>Yes, 'exec zsh' or
> whatever is a minor hassle, but it's there to remind you that root is
> different.

Sorry, but this is just dogma. Give me a benefit of not changing roots shell
that isn't either:

a) csh is really shitty, so encourages you not to su
b) if your shell is in /usr you will be screwed if /usr is unmounted
c) 'bash is for teh lam0rs' ( ok no-ones explicitly mentioned this yet, but admit it,
   it entered your head :) )

or let's just drop it.

This thread has come back from the dead more than Captain Scarlet,
it just gets my goat everytime I hear the same dubious arguments.

--
'Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it
in the body of a Great White shark suddenly you've gone too far..'