Frequent crashes with Mozilla and Firefox

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Mon Aug 16 14:36:26 PDT 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 02:30 pm, Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig at spymac.com>
wrote:
> On Monday 16 August 2004 01:31 pm, doug at polands.org wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:51:36PM -0700, Your Name wrote:
> > > In the last few weeks ive started getting a number of crashes using
> > > either Mozilla or Firefox. im using the newest version of each from
> > > Ports, on FreeBSD 4.9.
> >
> > And on 5.2.1-RELEASE and 5.2-CURRENT
> >
> > > It typically happens when i visit a complicated website with lots of
> > > dynamically-generated content, like the N.Y.  Times or eBay. But its
> > > not regular; i can restart the browser and go back to the same page
> > > and it could then just work.
> >
> > Two sites that failed consistently for me were http://www.pga.com and
> > http://www.statefarm.com
> >
> > The browser versions are
> >
> >  Mozilla 1.7.2
> >  Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3
> >
> > Both versions were built from ports the day after the port was
> > committed.  All other ports are up-to-date.
>
> I don't know if this would be helpful, but I'm testing both sites at the
> same time (tabbed) with Mozilla and Firefox, and I'm not having problems -
> am clicking through many links with both browsers fetching on both tabs
> (and Mozilla also has other tabs open). I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 and
> have the same versions of Mozilla and Firefox as you do, and all my ports
> are also up-to-date. Both browsers have Flash, Java and scripting enabled.
> If it means anything, I'm also running X.org and Xfce4. However, the OP it
> was an intermittent problem (is it with you as well?), so not sure if I'm
> just getting lucky, as I haven't ever surfed either of those sites before.

I should probably also mention that neither browser has ever crashed on me on
FreeBSD, and I use both extensively. I've only been a FreeBSD user for a few
months, but I've never had issues with either browser crashing whatsoever.
I'm also running on a 2GHz Athlon and 512MB RAM. Mozilla tends to be a memory
hog - maybe it's an issue with memory and swapping?

- jt