GD from ports on FreeBSD 4.9

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Apr 23 07:24:56 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Apr 23), Wayne Pascoe said:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:49:33AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Apr 22), Wayne Pascoe said:
> > > gdft.c:485: `FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL' undeclared (first use in this
> > > function)
> >
> > Make sure your freetype is up-to-date (2.1.7_3 is the current
> > version) also.
>
> Thanks a bunch. That actually appears to be a bit broken, but I'll
> contact the gd2 maintainer.
>
> I was using portupgrade to update gd2, and I would have assumed that
> if freetype was a dependency, portupgrade should have updated that as
> well.

You would need to add -R to upgrade packages required by the one you're
upgrading.  -r will upgrade packages depending on the one you're
upgrading.  They're not the default because most of the time they're
not necessary, and can really slow down a build if there's a big piece
of software like mozilla, jdk, or openoffice somewhere in the
dependency chain.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com