I need help with Xfree86

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Apr 4 12:21:18 PDT 2004

Steven Soria wrote:
> Is that the only thing I need to install to be able to get into FreeBSD?

Well, no, actually.  :-)
You don't need to install XFree86 to get into FreeBSD.

> Please help me out by telling me how to get Xfree86 and where to install it
> to so I can get it when Im trying to install it. I have FreeBSD on another
> partition but now when I go into My Computer, it doesnt show the partition
> with FreeBSD on it. How will I do it then? I have the I386 platform. PLEASE
> HELP ME OUT!

As you've noticed, Windows doesn't understand the filesystem FreeBSD uses.
Don't boot into Windows, boot into the FreeBSD partition.

It's probably easier to use /stand/sysinstall to install X11 via prebuilt
packages (either via FTP or from the installation CD), but you can also do
something like:

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
make install

...and build and install X yourself (but this will take quite a bit of time).

--
-Chuck