SNMP help

Ilya Varlashkin ilya at samara.net
Fri Oct 31 01:49:58 PST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:37:09PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 17:59, Ronnie Clark wrote:
> > Thanks all for the suggestions. I have the port
> > installed, but how do I configure this beast to work
> > with OpenView? I have looked at the online docs for
> > the port, but it is all jibberish to this newbie.
> > Anyone have a simple to follow doc or set of
> > guidelines to setup net-snmp to be monitored by
> > Openview?

There is nothing so special about HP OpenView - it's just an SNMP manager.
They will poll whater it's neccessary from daemon running on your FreeBSD
as long as you provide them with appropriate access level in your snmpd.conf.

Following could be reasonable start for your /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf:

#

syslocation     "Room X, Rack Y, second from the top"
syscontact      "Ronnie Clark <your_email>, your_telephone"
sysservices     76

#
# ACL
#
#       name=   source          community
com2sec me      localhost       VerySecret
com2sec hpov    <address_of_ov> Pass4HPOpenView
com2sec default default         public

group   meRO            v1  me
group   meRO            v2c me
group   hpovRO          v1  hpov
group   hpovRO          v2c hpov
group   defaultRO       v1  default
group   defaultRO       v2c default

#       incl/excl   subtree             mask
view    all included    .1              80
view    contact included    .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysContact

#       Gname           context model   level   prefix  read    write   notif
access  meRO            ""      any     noauth  exact   all     all     none
access  hpovRO          ""      any     noauth  exact   all     none    none
access  defaultRO       ""      any     noauth  exact   contact none    none

Kind regards,
Ilya Varlashkin