SNMP help

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 12:01:34 PST 2003

After installing the net-snmp port, add snmpd_enable="YES" to your
/etc/rc.conf.  Then the snmpd daemon will start upon next boot (startup
script should be in /usr/local/etc/rc.d).  Then do your standard
Openview snmp discovery for this machine.  That should be enough to get
you started.  If you want to change the data reported, you will need to
do some reading at that point to learn how to extend the MIB.  The
O'reilly book on snmp is logical place to start for this.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com