Laptop starts back up on its own

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Sat Nov 29 21:21:11 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 21:43, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> First time I've seen this happen...I've installed FreeBSD:
>
> FreeBSD laptop.fbsdsizemore.com 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu
> Jun  5 02:55:42 GMT 2003     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com
> :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> on my laptop.  When I shut the PC down at night, I wake to find it back
> on again a little later.  Today I shut it down, left the house, came
> back and it was on again.
>
> I shut down by entering 'shutdown -h (or -p) now' at the command line
> and then depressing the power button after it says OK to power down or
> 'press any key to restart'.  It does power down completely and then a
> little later (not sure how long it takes), it's back on again.
>
> Looking for some things to check to get to the root (no pun intended) of
> this.
>
> Thanks-

I have an older Compaq Deskpro that does the same thing. I first thought
that maybe rogue or spurious packets on the network were causing
Wake-on-LAN to activate, but 1) it's turned off in the BIOS 2) I don't
think the card actually supports it 3) the machine turned on once with
the network cable unplugged.

I don't think it's either APM or ACPI causing it either since I have
both disabled in FreeBSD and power management is turned off in the BIOS.
I also don't know at this point if it's a FreeBSD issue or not since I
only use the machine periodically for testing and haven't had any other
OS on it long enough to trigger the automatic power-on. My friend has a
few identical machines and also runs FreeBSD on them, but he leaves them
on all the time so he's never seen the problem.

Let me know if anything turns up!

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net