System hang when installing 5.1

Thor Anderson thor_anderson at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:21:13 PST 2003

I am attempting to install 5.1 on two identical IBM NetVista Model 6645 W2U
legacy-free computers.  When booting from the distribution CD, both
computers appear to hang immediately after to boot loader is located:

CD Loader 1.01

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found

(no further activity)

I am installing FreeBSD 5.1 which was purchased in the boxed "Power Pak".
Previously, I attempted to download the ISO for 4.9.1 and it hung without
any message at all.  The system is able to successfully boot and begin the
installation of other operating systems (various Microsoft OS's).

Being legacy-free, the system is a bit unusual.  It has no PS/2, serial or
parallel ports.  Further, it does not have a floppy drive.  The only drives
it has are CD ROM and a 7.x GB hard drive.  The only connectors are (5) USB,
(1) PCI ethernet (Intel chipset), VGA, and sound.

When booting the FreeBSD 5.1 CD, I have only a VGA monitor and a Microsoft
USB keyboard.

I don't know what additional information I can provide.  If you need more -
just ask.  Thanks in advance for your help.