Partitions

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Wed Nov 19 06:26:57 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:10:29 -0800 (PST), George Theodo
<gtheodo72 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all. I am using FreeBSD 5.1 for a couple of weeks now. My situation
> is this, I have one hard disk with two partitions , one for WinXP and one
> for FreeBSD where I boot each one of them. Also I have a second hard disk
> with two partitions of WinXP. I am trying to administer WinXP from
> FreeBSD but i have some difficulties. I mount without problem the NTFS
> partitions but what happens is this: I can copy files from any NTFS
> partition to the FreeBSD Partition , I cannot copy files from any NTFS
> partition to another NTFS partition, I cannot copy files from FreeBSD
> Partition to NTFS partition. I don't know what the problem is.
>

>From the mount_ntfs(8) man page:

WRITING
     There is limited writing ability.  Limitations: file must be
nonresident and must not contain any sparces (uninitialized areas);
compressed files are also not supported.

[...]

CAVEATS
     This utility is primarily used for read access to an NTFS volume.  See
     the WRITING section for details about writing to an NTFS volume.

So in other words, you should probably should not count on being able to
write to an NTFS partition.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#