how to map pfkeys to screen -r cmds

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sun Nov 16 01:13:19 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:32, Marty Landman wrote:
> At 07:15 PM 11/15/2003, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> >On my 4.7-STABLE machine I believe the default number of
> >virtual consoles is 16 with the first 12 having by default /dev entries
> >/dev/ttyv0 to /dev/ttyvb; certainly not /dev/stty0 ...
> >and are selectable with Alt-f1 to Alt-f12 when active.
> >By default the first 8 consoles are activated for login in /etec/ttys.
>
> I'm on 4.8-RELEASE and a GENERIC Kernel. When I try alt-f3 from my ssh
> session I get [13~. All the function keys with alt do similarly. What am I
> missing? I've learned to use the screen cmd although it's a bit easy to get
> lost in there, is this built on that or something else?

I think you may have misunderstood the nature of the virtual terminals. What
do you hope to do through ssh. The virtual terminal is relavent only to the
local machine -- if pretends that there are 16 (or however many are set up)
separate screens and keyboards and these share the real screen and keyboard by
switching -- normally throgh the Alt-f? combination. Those made active in
/etc/ttys can be selected locally for login -- independent of any login on a
different  virtual terminal. If you are logging in remotely (via ssh) then
you are using a remote terminal and the virtual terminals are totally
irrelevant. Login will be in a pseudo terminal /dev/pty??

Confusing perhaps, but I can't think of a way to explain more clearly.

Malcolm