df -h reporting weird numbers (FreeBSD 4.8)

Rob listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Fri May 30 16:03:32 PDT 2003

On my (much smaller) disk, this is the output for root:

  /dev/ad0s1a   126M    42M    74M    36%    /

And 42M + 74M is only 166M - 10M missing?

Using dumpfs(8), I see that the value of minfree is 8%:

  magic   11954   time    Tue May 27 07:38:32 2003
  [ ...snip... ]
  minfree 8%      optim   time    maxcontig 7     maxbpg  4096

And 8% of 126M is 10M, which works out just right. So df(1) is reporting
the space available to non-root users, not the actual free space on the
filesystem.

You can use tunefs(8) to change minfree - 8% is the default. The manpage
says that this isn't a good idea, but it may depend on the size of the
filesystem.

I've noticed that Solaris used to set the same default minfree for
everything, but recent versions make it much smaller (down to 1%) on
very large disks. This may or may not be a good idea for FreeBSD - I
don't know enough about filesystems.