dumb newbie question about file-name completion

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Sun May 25 14:49:19 PDT 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 23:31, Adam wrote:
> Here's a dumb newbie question...
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.0 on my PC and, while I'm
> extremely happy about this and have already spent many
> hours playing around, I've hit an annoying snag with
> the tab key file-name completion. Everything works
> just fine when I'm logged in as root, but when I try
> to use any of my other accounts I can't use this
> feature (I don't even get the [BEEP]). What am I doing
> wrong? Is it possible that my keyboard configuration
> is not carried over to the user accounts I set up?
> Obviously I don't want to go stomping around as root
> when I don't really know what I'm doing, but this has
> made entering commands a bit cumbersome and I'd like
> to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
You have probably given the user accounts a shell that doesn't have
tab-completion.
with the chsh command you can change your shell.
(in /etc/master.passwd you can see what shells your users have)

grtz,
Daan